Monday, October 13, 2014

Objects Are Closer Than They Appear — Tweeted Mystery "The Golden Parachute" Continues!

Here are Week 90 @Twitstery tweets of The Golden Parachute, the amazing new sequel to Executive Severance!

"Rixey, you should hear what Dot is saying." "NOT NOW!" Favoring his injured hand, Rixey reapplies the crowbar to the doorframe. "OOMPH!"

I turn back to Dot. "Have you figured out why Granger is experiencing post-mortem immortality?" "You mean why his body hasn't decomposed?"

"He wasn't dipped in paraffin or formalin, yet here he remains." "By re-writing his DNA he made his corpse unavailable to nature." "Huh?"

"Gene remodeling led microbes to find him distasteful." "I knew it!" "What led you to find him in a school path lab?" "That I don't know."

"Why did you go to the Caribbean?" "I was sent to find Regi." "Who sent you?" "Her father's ghostly facsimile." Dot looks dubious. "Hmm."

"A 'ghost' sent you to find Regi?" "He said she was in danger and the end was near." "You went looking for the girl and found the ghoul?"

"Not a ghoul. More like the unwalking dead." Regi says "Hey! I wasn't that drunk!" "Not you, him." "Recruited by a ghost and yet you went."

"He offered to pay." "Cash or Bitcoins?" "No, cash. I owe your hospital $30,000 for work you didn't do. It was an offer I couldn't refuse."

"Who sent you down there?" "I thought it was Farley Granger, but he denies it." Regi says "Wait. You got paid to rescue me?" "Not yet."

"Didn't you tell me it was because you are in love with me?" "That too. He said you were in danger and the end is near." "The end of what?"

"The end of the world as we know it. He asked me if I was hard enough to deal with it and I said yes." Rixey comes over cradling his hand.

He says "You took money off the books?" "Not yet. My phantom visitor put my payment in escrow pending successful completion of the job."

"I agreed to do it because you had me cooling my heels on semi-permanent suspension." "And now I'm putting you on permanent dismissal."

Regi says "That goes double for me." "Regi, I didn't do it for the money." "Would you have come to get me for free?" "Well, no." "Un huh."

"I thought Granger's ghost was a figment of my imagination. I needed something tangible to go on." "And yet you believed he would pay you?"

"I know it sounds crazy in hindsight." "More than crazy." Rixey says "Whatever. You're finished with the force." "We'll see about that."

"Meanhile, how are you coming with that door?" "We can't open it." "Too bad. You should keep trying." "No. I've called in the Swat Team."

Dot says "That's not necessary. I have a key." "YOU HAVE A KEY?" "Yes. I always carry the only other key for just this type of situation."

Rixey turns to me "YOU KNEW THIS?" "Hey, I'm on permanent dismissal. It's no longer my problem." "I BROKE MY PINKY FINGER ON THAT DOOR!"

"Someone in this hospital should take a look. I suggest Dash." "Later. Dr. Dot, will you open the door?" Dot takes a key from his pocket.

Fitting the key into the lock, he gives it a turn and the door to Farley's safe room swings open. We all peer inside. The room is empty.

(The Twitter Mystery continues daily at 
@Twitstery)

No comments:

Post a Comment